These backyard BBQ cupcakes are super cute and easy to make– you don’t have to be a grill master to make them.
I bought colored sugar at the bulk store a couple of weeks ago because it was available in so many colors. I didn’t know what I would use it for, but it looked a lot of fun. The black sugar looked a lot like charcoal, so I thought they would make really cute BBQ cupcakes.
Backyard BBQ Cupcakes
- ready made cupcakes (I used chocolate cupcakes)
- chocolate frosting or butter cream
- “Hot Tamale” Candy
- Caramel Squares
- Multi colored Gummi Worms
- Black sugar, orange sugar, red sugar
- black food color
Frost your cupcakes with the chocolate frosting. Reserve 2 tablespoons of frosting, and using a small amount of the black food coloring gel, dye the frosting gray.
Place black sugar in a bowl, and dip the top of the frosted cupcakes in the sugar to fully coat. The black will be the ‘charcoal’ of our BBQ’s.
Sprinkle a little bit of orange and red sugar on top to represent ‘hot’ coals.
Using a parchment triangle or a piping bag to pipe lines across the cupcakes using the gray frosting. These will represent the grill of the BBQ.
Prep the “Meat”:
- Mold the caramels into steaks using. Next, cut the multi-colored gummy worms into small pieces, and skewer them onto a toothpick.
- Dip a toothpick into the black food coloring gel, and draw lines across the candy to make it look like grill marks. Place the finished candies onto the ‘bbq’.