This is the perfect vegetarian appetizer—it is equal parts tasty, and equal parts easy to make; best of all, it will please both vegetarians and meat eaters.
Hummus Jalapeño Poppers
300 g prepared garlic hummus (from scratch or store bought)
10 – 12 jalapeño peppers
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ tsp cumin powder
¼ cup Italian breadcrumbs
¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
¼ cup butter, melted; in a vaporizer spray bottle
+ 1 single use aluminum bake tray
+ 1 exacto knife
+ a pair of plastic gloves (for scooping out the jalapeño peppers)
- Take a 8” x 8” single use aluminum pan and cut “x” throughout the surface using an exacto knife as per picture. Next, carefully push the edges of the pan inwards to create a cradle. This will act as your jalapeño bake tray so your peppers sit upright.
- Pre-heat oven to 350’F. Put on plastic gloves, and wash the jalapeño peppers. Using a pairing knife, carefully cut off the tail end. Gently cut around the vein of the jalapeno pepper, and scoop out the middle. You want to make sure that you scoop out all of the seeds and veins so that they are not extra spicy. Wash the peppers again to ensure there are no extra seeds
- In a large bowl, combine hummus, cheese and cumin powder. Mix until combined. Carefully pipe, or spoon the mixture into the individual hallowed jalapeños peppers.
- In a small bowl, combine Parmesan cheese and Italian breadcrumbs. Next, dip the tops of the hummus stuffed jalapeño peppers into the breadcrumb mixture
- Arrange the peppers into the tray, and spray the tops with the melted butter using a vaporizer and bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the breadcrumbs turn a golden brown color.
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes before serving; enjoy immediately.
Learn from my mistakes: Make sure you fill the jalapeño all the way; I left a couple of air pockets at the bottom of the peppers, and it after I removed the poppers from the oven, they sank. They were still delicious, but didn’t look so cute. Live and learn.